Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Browse » home» » » Olive Burger

Olive Burger


My friend at work, who specifically insisted on remaining nameless, mentioned a few days ago that her favorite thing is an olive burger.  I had never heard of an olive burger before, certainly have never tried one and, honestly, I was not sure whether it was a burger that I wanted to experience or not. However,   after looking at some photos (I dont know about you, but sometimes I can sort of figure out if I am going to like something new by the way it looks), listening to her describe the proper technique like how you must pile up the olives high and top it with Hellmans mayonnaise (and absolutely, positively not Miracle Whip...which I would not eat anyway) and sending out a tweet to my fellow foodies, I decided to give it a go.

Fortunately for me, because I was starving, I loved it.  The salty, briny nature of the olives plays perfectly against the richness of the meat and the mayonnaise.  I was undecided about the cheese situation; whether to include it or not and, if so, what type of cheese, American or Swiss.  I received recommendations for both and ultimately decided on the American.  My rational was that I like green olives on my nachos and the cheese on nachos is most similar to American (very profound).   I will not give you the excrutiating details on how to cook a burger except to say that I made mine from about 1/4 pound of ground round and browned it really well on both sides in cast iron skillet (my friend says that it is actually a million times better when cooked on the grill but its still not grilling weather here yet).  Make sure to melt the cheese on the burger and then place the olives on top.  The melty cheese will help the olives to stick better.  I slathered both sides of the bun with mayonnaise, yes, Hellmans mayonnaise and shredded crisp iceberg lettuce.  Very delicious for something different. 

After talking about the olive burger for several days while at work, my friend decided she could not longer resist and made one for herself last night too.  I encouraged her to take a picture so I could include it here.  So here is the cheeseless olive burger made by my unnamed work friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment